Detection and identification of Campylobacter spp. from retail raw chicken, turkey, sheep and goat meat in Ahvaz, Iran


Ebrahim Rahimi *, Hamid Reza Kazemeini , Saman Safaei, Karim Allahbakhshi , Manouchehr Momeni , Majid Riahi

Campylobacter species are common bacterial pathogens causing gastroenteritis in humans worldwide and the consumption of poultry meats is suspected to be the leading cause of this illness. This study was therefore conducted to determine the prevalence of Campylobacter spp. from retail raw meats in Ahvaz, Iran. From July 2009 to February 2010, a total of 215 raw meat samples from chicken (n = 60), turkey (n = 50), sheep (n = 50) and goat (n = 45) were purchased from randomly selected retail outlets in Ahvaz, Iran and were evaluated for the presence of Campylobacter. Campylobacter spp. isolated from 60 of 215 meat samples (27.9%) examined. The highest prevalence of Campylobacter spp. was found in chicken meat (61.7%), followed by turkey meat (36.0%), sheep meat (6.0%) and goat meat (4.4%). The most prevalence Campylobacter species isolated from meat samples was Campylobacter jejuni (88.3%), the remaining isolates were Campylobacter coli (11.7%). All 60 Campylobacter strains identified as C. jejuni and C. coli were also positive by using polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Significantly higher prevalence rates of Campylobacter spp. (P < 0.05) were found in the meat samples taken in summer (44.1%). Furthermore, to ensure food safety, poultry meats must be properly cooked before consuming.

Share this article

Awards Nomination

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

Indexed In
  • Index Copernicus
  • Google Scholar
  • Sherpa Romeo
  • Open J Gate
  • Directory of Open Access Journals
  • CiteFactor
  • Electronic Journals Library
  • Directory of Research Journal Indexing (DRJI)
  • OCLC- WorldCat
  • Publons
  • PubMed
  • Rootindexing
  • Chemical Abstract Services (USA)
  • Academic Resource Index