African Journal of Dentistry ISSN 3216-0216 is a peer-reviewed, open access journal dedicated to the dissemination of new knowledge and information on all sciences relevant to dentistry. The journal considers articles on all aspects of the prevention, diagnosis and management of disorders of the mouth, teeth and gums, as well as related molecular genetics, pathophysiology, and epidemiology.
African Journal of Dentistry publishes original research articles, reviews, and clinical studies in all areas of dentistry, including periodontal diseases, dental implants, oral pathology, oral hygiene, stomatology, restorative dentistry, as well as oral and maxillofacial surgery. The target audience of the journal includes researchers, dental practitioners or clinicians, oral and dental policy-makers, dental educators, hard-tissue scientists, dental students, and other health professionals.
The aims of the journal include, but are not limited to:
- To publish peer-reviewed scientific articles with clinical significance for the general dental practitioner.
- To publish high-quality research papers that will influence the practice of dentistry at clinician, research, industry and policy-maker level on an international basis.
- To publish articles in all branches of medicine that is involved in the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity, oral mucosa, and of adjacent and related structures and tissues, particularly in the maxillofacial (jaw and facial) area.
- To publish articles dealing with all aspects of the craniofacial complex including the temperomandibular and other supporting structures, development, and abnormalities of the teeth etc.
- To publish articles on the management of dental disease, periodontology, endodontology, operative dentistry, fixed and removable prosthodontics, dental biomaterials science, long-term clinical trials including epidemiology and oral health, technology transfer of new scientific instrumentation or procedures, as well as clinically relevant oral biology and translational research.
- To publish articles dealing with basic and clinical dentistry, including endemic diseases such as dental caries and periodontal diseases in particular regions of any country as well as oral pre-cancers, oral cancers, and oral submucous fibrosis related to betel nut chewing habit are also considered for publication.
- To publish articles about the efficacy of a new treatment modality on oral verrucous hyperplasia or early oral squamous cell carcinoma.
- To publish the scientific researches evaluating the use of new biomaterials, new drugs and new methods for treatment of patients with different kinds of oral and maxillofacial diseases or defects, the diagnosis of oral and maxillofacial diseases with new methods, etc. Moreover, researches on the quality of life, psychological interventions, improving disease treatment outcomes, the prevention, diagnosis and management of cancer therapeutic complications, rehabilitation, palliative and end of life care, and support teamwork for cancer care and oral health care for old patients are also welcome.
- To publish articles that bring new knowledge, new observations, new techniques, new diagnosis and treatment modalities, and new clinical trials to all the readers of this journal.