Computers: Do we need ?em?


Sorin Cosofret and Axel Holmberg*

It is impossible to imagine how humanity could be a species without computers, which are the product of hundreds of millions of years of evolution. Chimpanzees and bonobos are genetically 98.7% the same as humanity, and the remaining 1.3% likely represents a lack of computers in their societies. However, whilst computers have many uses (i.e. word processing, selling NFTs for a fraction of the initial purchasing price, or forcing more than 500 million people to own a copy of your 13th album whether they wanted to or not), with an increase in computing power comes an increase in responsibility, both from the scientists making the computers and the computers themselves. As seen in recent prescient documentary footage (Kubrick; 1968; Cameron, 1984; I Robot, 2004), the over evolution of computers can lead to dangerous results, with robotic creatures dominating humanity, socially, politically, and sexually. In this review, we assess whether computing power has reached its maximum safe limit, whether society would be improved without computers, and what the dangers are with rampant computers gone wild.

Share this article

Awards Nomination

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

Indexed In
  • Index Copernicus
  • Sherpa Romeo
  • Open J Gate
  • Academic Keys
  • CiteFactor
  • Electronic Journals Library
  • OCLC- WorldCat
  • Academic Resource Index