African Journal of Tropical Agriculture ISSN 2375-091X is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original and review articles concerned with all aspects of crop science, agroecosystem management and conservation, and in particular the application of biological, engineering, ecological, and social knowledge to the management of agricultural crops in the tropics including plantation and horticultural crops.
The journal aims and scope falls within the following subject areas:
Aims and Scope
- AJTA intends to focus on research advances within the agriculture industries located in the subtropics and tropics including livestock (beef, dairy, pork, poultry) grain and pulse crops, sugarcane and horticultural crops.
- AJTA will meet the need for a high level, multi-disciplinary, international scientific journal that focuses on advances, and controversies, in tropical agriculture research.
- The objective of this journal include the following:
- To contribute to international policies aimed at reducing poverty and improving livelihoods in rural areas in the tropics, sub-tropics and countries with less developed economies.
- To encourage efficient and sustainable use of local resources and technologies, to arrest and reverse the degradation of the natural resources base on which agriculture depends, and to raise productivity of both agriculture and related enterprises to increase family incomes and commercial investment in the rural sector.
- To publish groundbreaking research that will enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture, with the ultimate goals of reducing hunger, malnutrition, and poverty.
- To publish articles that will address the development needs of tropical countries.
- To focus on the roles of farmers and other stakeholders living in rural areas, scientists (agriculturists, economists, sociologists, etc.), government and the private sector in achieving a convergent approach to rural development. This includes recognition of the importance of the role of women, the effect of AIDS and other social and cultural issues on the rural economy and livelihoods.
- AJTA welcomes high profile articles from scientists and researchers concerned with the role of tropical agriculture for development throughout the world. Articles dealing with the cultivation of plants in the tropics as well as articles concerns with perennial woody plants (arboriculture), ornamental (floriculture), vegetables (olericulture), and fruits (pomology) including grapes (viticulture).
- AJTA brings together individuals and organizations from both developed and less developed countries to enable them contribute to international policies and actions aimed at reducing poverty and improving livelihoods.
All articles published by this journal are made freely and permanently accessible online immediately upon publication, without subscription charges or registration barriers.
Also, authors of articles published in this journal are the copyright holders of their articles and have granted to any third party, in advance and in perpetuity, the right to use, reproduce or disseminate articles.
African Journal of Tropical Agriculture levies an article-processing charge of $500 (USD) for each article accepted for publication. The journal does not charge a submission fee. Authors are required to pay the manuscript handling fee only after their manuscripts have been reviewed and accepted for publication by an editor. Authors can request a waiver or discount during the submission process as the journal routinely waive charges for authors from low-income countries.
ISJ offsets publication expenses – including the cost of peer review management, journal production, and online hosting and archiving – by charging an Article Processing Charge (APC), to authors, institutions or funders for each article published. This publication fees vary by journal and are payable upon article acceptance.
Peer-review is the system used by African Journal of Tropical Agriculture to assess the quality of a manuscript before it is published. Qualified researchers in the relevant research area assess submitted manuscripts for originality, validity and significance to help editors determine whether the manuscript should be published or not.
African Journal of Tropical Agriculture operates a double-blind peer-review system, where the reviewers of the paper won't get to know the identity of the author(s), and the author(s) won't get to know the identity of the reviewer. The advantage of double-blind peer review is that it eliminates bias.
Manuscripts submitted to this journal will generally be reviewed by two or more experts who will be required to evaluate whether the manuscript is scientifically sound and coherent, whether it duplicates already published work, and whether or not the manuscript is sufficiently clear for publication. The Editors will reach a decision based on these reports and, where necessary, they will consult with members of the Editorial Board.
International Scholars Journals (ISJ) is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and abides by its Code of Conduct and aims to adhere to its Best Practice Guidelines.
All journals published by ISJ are committed to publishing only innovative and original material i.e., material that has neither been published elsewhere, nor is it under consideration for publication by another publisher.
Benefits of publishing in this journal
At ISJ, we continue to work hard to support our authors who trust us with their works. Here are just some of the benefits we provide:
- Open Access: Our research is freely available to all, from the time of publication. Readers do not need a subscription or to register before they can access our articles.
- High visibility: ISJ allows maximum visibility of articles published in the journal as they are available to the widest possible scientific outreach, including to the general public.
- Rapid publication: The timeframe between acceptance and publication is about 3 weeks. All ISJ journals offer a fast publication schedule.
- Rigorous peer-review: ISJ is operated by a team of experienced professional editors. We work closely with academic editors and reviewers to provide authors with an efficient, fair, and constructive reviews.
- Post-publication comments: ISJ allows readers and authors to exchange ideas that are directly accessible from the full-text article.
- International readership: All articles are being accessed from over 200 countries worldwide.
- Promotion and press coverage: Articles published in this journal are included in article alerts and regular email updates.
- Access and reach: We continue to submit our journals to all known abstracting and indexing services.
- Flexibility: ISJ journals gives you the opportunity to publish at your convenience.
- Copyright: Authors retain the copyright to their works. Authors are allowed unlimited use and/or distribution of their work without any form of restriction. As an author of an article published in any ISJ journal, you retain the copyright of your article and you are free to reproduce and disseminate your work.
To subscribe for an article published by any of our journals, kindly contact [email protected]. The subscription rate is $350 and it is the same for all countries. The subscription charges are inclusive of delivery charges. All journals are open access and subscribers shall receive the print edition.